Golf is all about perfection and accuracy. Technology helps golf players take more precise shot, no need to guess the distance to the target any more. There are 2 main types of golf range finder on the market: the laser golf rangefinder and GPS golf. Which is more accurate and easier to use? Which one is better for golf? This laser golf rangefinder or GPS question can only be resolved by looking at the needs of the person who will use it. There are both ups and downs of each listed below.
Laser Rangefinder Advantages
- Accuracy: A laser range finder uses a pulse of light and a receiver that records the reflection time it takes to calculate the distance and display to the user. Based on this principle, it can be as accurate as +/-0.33 yard within its range. It’s more consistent and accurate than golf GPS.
- Courses: Laser rangefinders work on all golf courses, saving your time downloading courses on it. This is the the major advantage to differentiate it from GPS.
- Easy to use: The operation of a golf laser rangefinder is very simple, the settings and directions will only take you a few minutes to figure out.
- Magnification: Magnification plays an important role in golf game, it enables you to locket the target much easier. With this built-in feature, you won’t need a binoculars on the course any more, less backpack when you head to the course.
- Battery Life: Depending on the golf laser you purchase and how often you use it, the laser rangefinder battery will last a year or more.
Laser Rangefinder Disadvantages
- Steadiness: Golf laser range finder requires steady hands as it may lead to wrong readings. This will give those who have trembling hands a hard time on the golf course.
- Hit the wrong target: It usually happens that the laser distance finder picks up the wrong target and returns wrong readings. The closer you get to your target, the less likely this will happen. But some famous brands equipped with advanced PinSeeker technology to help you avoid these situations.
- Obstacles: If you can’t see a target, your laser rangefinder golf won’t help a bit. Although this is not a common problem, but when it appears, it’s a big one.
GPS Rangefinder Advantages
- No Steady Hands Needed: Golf GPS rangefinder doesn’t require steady hands on your side. It will provide accurate yardages without having to aim the target precisely.
- Track Targets You Can’t See: On golf course, there are hazards or others you won’t be able to see. The GPS rangefinder provides accurate yardage even to these targets.
- Hole Layouts: Some GPS rangefinders can provide a layout of all the holes on the course before you playing it. So if you come to a golf course you are not familiar with, this will help acquaint yourself with the environment and start your game.
- More Complete Distances: A golf GPS distance finder can provide distance to the front, middle and back of the green. These information can help user get a better aim at the target.
- Additional Features: Compared to laser range finder, the golf GPS finder has advanced features such as shot-measuring, scorecards, statistics functions and more.
GPS Rangefinder Disadvantages
- Accuracy: GPS yardage finder is pretty accurate, but not as accurate as laser rangefinder. That’s because the signal of the satellites may be interfered by trees, clouds or something else.
- Courses: Although many GPS golf yardage finders come pre-loaded with courses, many units require hookup to a computer in order to get it updated or load new courses, this is big trouble for golfers.
- More Learning Time: It may take you more time on the features and settings of the golf rangefinder.
- Battery Life: The battery life of even the best golf GPS rangefinder is not as long as laser range finder, you need to check and make it charged every few rounds.
Just as the saying goes, every coin has two sides. There are both advantages and disadvantages of laser rangefinder and GPS rangefinder. What is the better option to go with? It depends on your preference. We hope this article can give you a clue to laser rangefinder and GPS rangefinder, choose the right device per your needs.